Menu
Home Page

Eco-Committee

Well done to all of those Respect Berries out there who have helped us by working together to achieve the Green Flag Bronze Award. If you have any ideas or would like to contribute to our efforts to become a Green Flag School then talk to your class Eco representative or Mrs Swain. We'd love to hear from you so that we can all work together to make a difference to Berry Hill and beyond!

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR ECO WARRIORS FOR ACHIEVING THE GREEN FLAG BRONZE AWARD!!!!!!!

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 15th June 2017 2017

Present: EM, CS, MG, CG, IF, MI, LA, FH, PH, Mrs Swain

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

2.Previous Minutes

 

 

 

 

 

3. Recap Audit

 

4. International Clean Up Mansfield Day

 

5. Mansfield Garden and Craft Festival

6. Eco-Schools Action Plan Update

 

 

7. Sherwood Pines Visit

 

 

8. Scrapbook

 

9. AOB

 

 

 

 

 

10. Date and Time Of Next Meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members

Eco-Berry trophy still to be established – decided to start properly in new academic year with new eco-club.

Walk to School week – some children said that their classes did not do the table or award the pencil.

Audit of school grounds completed and work started (bench painted!) See agenda item below.

Eco-Info card still to do. Staff meeting still to arrange

We looked again at the results of our audit and agreed 22nd June Yr 3and4 playground tidy up and planting, 29th June Sherwood Pines trip, 6th July KS1 playground tidy up (and planting?), 13th July ‘campfire’

As our commitment to this event we have cleaned up and painted the benches by the hall, started litter picking in the playgrounds, we will be tidying up and planting out planters and are looking into some ‘Grimebusters’ activities from the local council

We are hoping to put in an entry based on the work we are doing for Int. Clean Up Mansfield day

We looked back at our action plan and Mrs Swain pointed out that we now need to evaluate the work that has been done towards the targets this year. The children are going to let their teachers know that they will be getting an email from Mrs Swain asking for a summary of what they have done to achieve their target and any impact it has had.

 

Mrs Swain explained we had been invited to visit Sherwood Pines with our families to collect logs, sticks etc to develop our outdoor learning area. Letters to follow!

Mrs Swain suggested that we make a scrapbook to show all the things we have done this year. She shared a list of things we had done and the children added a few more things. We are going to work on the scrapbook over the next couple of weeks.

Mrs Swain explained Mrs Brown is looking into getting a water butt for us on the request of Mrs Collins so that we can care for plants around school better, using rainwater.

Mrs Swain gave eco-club members their new badges and explained that she would need them back at the end of the year for next year’s eco-club

Mrs Swain gave eco-club members a huge THANK YOU! For all their hard work this year.

 

Thursday 14th September 2017

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to order grime busters activities

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to email teachers

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to do letter and distribute

Make Scrapbook!

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 27th April 2017

Present: EM, CS, MG, MF, CG, IF, AC, MI, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

  1. Welcome

 

 

2.Previous Minutes

 

3. Eco-Berry

 

 

4. Walk to School Week

 

5. Action Plan Review

 

 

6. Less CO2

 

 

 

7. Pick an Eco-Action card

 

 

8. Any Other Business

 

 

 

9. Date of Next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for changing to after school. She explained that the first meeting if the half term will be a committee meeting, then we will use the remaining weeks of the half term to work on our action plan.

Mrs Swain has checked with Mrs Callanan about the remaining Veolia Grant money and she is going to out the order in. Walk to School Week on agenda

 

Mrs Swain showed the eco-club a trophy and we discussed how we could use an eco-award to promote our work in school. We decided to do it a bit like SEAL was organised and eco-club members will nominate people doing good things and we will pick one winner a month (in assembly?)

This is in the week of 15th-19th may. We plan to do a tally in each class and award some badges, certificates, stickers.

 

Eco-Club decided they would like to concentrate on School Grounds/Bio-Diversity and waste minimisation this term. We are going to start by doing a survey of the school grounds in next eco-club to make a plan of action. We will also need to liaise with KS1

Mrs Swain explained about the workshops she has been going on so we can become a Less CO2 accredited school. This will help us with our Eco-Schools application and it is about us becoming a more sustainable school. We plan to make an eco-information card for each classroom and to develop more links with the community as part of this work. We would also like to do a staff meeting with eco-club members attending to talk to the teachers.

‘Recycle More’ picked and to be displayed on hall board.

 

 

Mrs Swain explained that KS2 members of eco-club and school council would be going on a trip to Veolia materials recovery facility to find out about recycling. Letters explaining about the visit will be given out soon.

 

 

Next Eco-Committee meeting: 15th June 2017

Eco-Clubs:

11th May 2017

18th May 2017

25th May 2017

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

Chn to design an ‘Eco-Berry’ to go on trophy

 

Mrs swain to buy awards

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to talk to Miss Brown about doing a staff meeting

Eco-Club to make info card and distribute

 

 

 

 

Mrs swain to organise visit and prepare letters

 

 

 

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 23rd March 2017

Present: EM, CS, PH, MG, AB, LA, IF, FH, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

2.Previous Minutes

 

3. Veolia Grant

 

4. Energy Monitoring

 

5. Eco-Club

 

 

 

 

6. Pick an Eco Card

 

7. Any Other Business

 

 

8. Date and time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

Letter to staff written and distributed, location of printer recycling bins ok, eco-action card display put up, caddies given out

Mrs Swain explained that there is £50 left from this grant and suggested it might be useful to spend this on bird food and maybe another bird feeder for school

Display up and being used in Well Done assembly each week to share information with school

 

Mrs Swain explained that she was thinking of changing the time of eco-committee and making it more of a club so that we actually had time to do things as well as have the committee meetings. She proposed Thursdays after school and checked if this clashes with any other clubs for anyone. We decided it might work to have a committee meeting on the first Thursday of each half term and then create a plan of actions for the remaining weeks. Mrs swain will check if this change of time is ok with Mrs Brown and the rest of school and will then do a letter for everyone.

‘On Your Bike’ card selected

 

MG asked about walk to school week and whether we would be doing it. Mrs Swain said she would find out dates and more information

 

 

To be confirmed (see above)

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to check with Miss Brown and then do letter

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to copy and display in hall

 

Mrs Swain to research walk to school week

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Empties Please!

Used printer cartridge recycling

As part of our work towards our Eco-Schools award we are committed to reducing waste and recycling more, both in school and in our homes. The Eco-Committee has been looking at ways to do this and have decided to work with a company called ‘Empties Please’. They collect and recycle used ink and toner cartridges and will donate any money raised back to us.

It’s very simple. All we have to do is collect used ink cartridges and toner cartridges and put them into the collection bin, in one of the bags provided, which is situated in the reception area in school. ‘Empties Please’ will collect the bin when it is full and then donate the money raised back to school with a certificate to display showing how much we have raised through our recycling. We may also qualify for their Green Rewards scheme if we collect enough. You can collect cartridges from absolutely anywhere – school, work, home, clubs, friends and family. The more we can collect the better and as it takes up to 1000 years for a printer cartridge to decompose it is an environmentally friendly way for you to dispose of your printer cartridges whilst helping us at the same time!

Toners accepted: original branded Brother, Cannon, Dell and Epson toner cartridges

Ink cartridges accepted: original branded Cannon, HP, Lexmark and Samsung ink cartridges

Please make sure you put all cartridges in one of the bags provided before placing in the collection bin.

Thank you for your help.

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 9th March 2017

Present: CS, EM, PH, MG, MI, IF, AC, FH Mrs Swain, Mrs Brown

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

2.Previous Minutes

3. Waste Week

 

4. Letter To Staff

 

5. Nature Grant

 

6. Recycling Collections

 

 

7. Pick an Eco Card

 

7. Any Other Business

 

 

8. Date and time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming. She introduced Mrs Brown to the committee.

All covered in today’s agenda

Waste week seems to be going well, the assembly and workshops were successful, classes have watched the video clips and we talked about how we can share the energy usage monitoring in assembly on Friday

Letter not done yet, EM and PH to do TODAY and give to Mrs swain

 

Mrs Brown explained that there is a grant available to bid for to get some resources for the outdoor areas in school. We looked at some of the things to bid for and Mrs Brown is going to look into applying.

Printer recycling collection bin has arrived and is in reception ready to fill! Also a smaller collection box in ICT suite. We now need to publicise the scheme and get collecting! Mrs Brown is going to look into an alternative to Savanna rags for clothing collections as she thinks there might be another that pays more/collects a wider variety of fabrics.

Worm food card chosen to put on display in hall and share with school.

 

Mrs Swain showed the children the new composting bin for F2 linked to their action plan responsibility so that they were aware of what we are doing. Caddies need distributing to KS1 classes, eco committee members for those classes to bring fruit waste to F2 each Friday.

 

10.30 in the library Thursday 23rd March 2017

 

Dates after Easter to be confirmed

 

 

.

 

PH and EM to write letter to staff

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain to check location of bin ok with Miss Brown and Mrs Price

Mrs Swain to put up eco action card on dispaly

 

Caddies to go out to KS1 classes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 19th January 2017

Present: CS, EM, PH, PB, AB, LA, CG, AC, MG, IF, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

2.Minutes

 

3. Reviews

 

 

 

4. Energy Usage Monitoring

 

 

 

5. Waste Week

 

 

 

 

6. Badges

 

 

7. Any Other Business

 

 

8. Date and time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

Actions from previous minutes discussed, Mrs Graham (parent governor) is happy to join the committee but we have some timing issues to sort out. Only 3 reviews returned! See next item

The 3 reviews returned show that those classes have started to work on their action point and know where they are going next. We really need the other review forms back to monitor the whole schools work towards the action plan and to offer encouragement and support where it is needed.

 

The yr 6 committee members shared their monitoring books and explained the graphs they are using to see if we are reducing usage. We agreed that we need a simple display for the board that will show clearly whether usage has gone up or down. Tom McHale from Notts County Council came to talk to Mr Dalman about our energy use and how we can reduce it. Our gas usage is below typical but our electricity usage is very high.

 

Waste Week is the week beginning 6th March 2017. We are starting the week with an assembly from Severn Trent Water to talk about water use and wastage. We would then like to use waste week to focus on energy wastage, linked to our SystemsLink monitoring and the fact our electricity use it too high. We have a resource pack to support us and will plan the week in more detail after half term.

 

Committee members had suggested a badge would be a good idea to show they were on the committee. Megan has given each committee member a badge to put their name on. Mrs Swain will then laminate then and return them as badges to wear.

 

Megan shared a competition she had seen to win £100 by sending in a wordsearch list to a puzzle magazine. Mrs Swain has photocopied it and will look into it. Committee members suggested we should do eco themed lists of words.

 

10.30 in the library Thursday 23rd February 2017

(Thursday 9th March 2017)

(Thursday 23rd March 2017)

 

 

.

ALL REVIEW FORMS TO BE RETURNED ASAP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 19th January 2017

Present: CS, EM, PH, PB, AB, LA, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

2.Minutes

 

3. New Roles/Responsibilities

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. January Review of Action Plan

 

 

 

 

5. Any Other Business

 

5. Date and Time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

Actions from previous minutes discussed, see review below re: areas of responsibility/energy use monitors. Competition entries completed and sent off.

 

A vote was taken and Megan was appointed as Chair, she took over the running of the meeting. The following appointments were made:

Clerk Evie

Litter Monitors Connor, Poppy, Phoebe

Energy Use Monitors all of Eco-Committee working with Mr. Dalman. Committee members have started a book recording usage. Current usage recorded as a starting point and discussing ways to reduce with Mr. Dalman

 

Each eco-committee member has a review sheet to complete with their teacher/class to enable us to update the action plan with work completed so far to work towards the targets and to see if we need to support any classes to make sure they achieve their target by July 2017.

 

 

We still need to appoint another adult to work with the eco-committee as part of our Silver Criteria.

 

Thursday 2nd February 2017, 10.30 in the library

(Thursday 23rd February 2017)

(Thursday 9th March 2017)

(Thursday 23rd March 2017)

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action: Each representative and class teacher to complete review and return to next meeting

 

Mrs Swain to speak to governors about role

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

Date: 08th December 2016

Present: OW, PB, SM, MF, AB, AC, FH, LA, EM, CS, CG, MI, PH, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

 

2.Minutes

 

 

3. Silver Criteria

 

 

 

 

4. Cartoon Strip Competition

 

 

 

5. Any Other Business

 

 

5. Date and Time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

 

Actions from previous minutes discussed, end audit completed, ICT suite checklist on door, competition information distributed to all teachers. Classes still need to know their focus from action plan.

 

Mrs Swain ran through the silver criteria and we discussed which jobs would need doing. We agreed to think about it over the holidays and appoint roles in the first meeting back. We need: committee secretary, committee clerk, SystemsLink energy monitors, litter monitors

 

Mr Carter’s class have used their berry time to do the cartoon strip and really enjoyed doing it. Well done! Other committee members are going to remind their teachers and promote to class telling them how much Mr Carter’s class enjoyed doing it.

 

Comm members asked about the audit results from SIOF. Unfortunately, probably due to discrepancies in the audits, our usage appeared to go up! We have agreed to address this by monitoring ourselves using SystemsLink.

 

Thursday 5th January 2017, 10.30 in the library

 

 

Mrs Swain to make list of who is responsible for what for eco-comm members to help them to monitor their year group’s work towards plan.

 

 

 

 

 

Comm members to ensure we get as many entries a spossible –DEADLINE TO HAND IN MON 19TH DEC

 

 

SystemsLink monitors to be appointed next meeting

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: 24th November 2016

Present: CS, FH, MG, AC, AB, EM, MF, PB, CG, SM, LA, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

2.Minutes

 

 

3. Switch It Off Fortnight (SIOF)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. Cartoon Strip Competition

 

 

5. Any Other Business

 

 

 

5. Date and Time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

Actions from previous minutes discussed, action plan emailed to staff, initial audit done, end audit organised, chn spoke in KS1 and KS2 assemblies, SIOF and competition on today’s agenda 

 

Feedback from the classes is positive, eco-committee members felt that more people were aware about the importance of switching things off to save energy. MG had organised a competition in her class to promote switching things off. All comm members were reminded to award the certificate from their pack of resources to their class tomorrow for their participation in SIOF.

Mrs Swain has entered the first audit results onto the Pod website and will put the end audit data in when it has been done tomorrow. 

We appointed CG and SM to be ICT suite monitors as Mr Dalman has told us that leaving computers on at the end of the day was a real issue for our energy consumption. Mrs Swain will make a checklist.

 

 The chn were keen to do the competition. Mrs Swain is going to put together a sheet of information that each comm member can share with their class and we can put on the website

 

Mrs Swain asked the chn to think about litter monitors and an eco-newsletter for next meeting’s agenda.

Mrs Swain asked all the comm members to find out which part of the Action Plan their year group was responsible for and to find out what work was being planned towards it to share in next meeting

 

8th December 2016, 10.30 in the library

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CS, PH and AB to do end audit and return to Mrs swain

CG and SM to monitor ICT suite daily to ensure all computers switched off.

Mrs Swain to make a checklist

 

 

Mrs Swain to make and distribute information sheet

 

 

 

 

 

Comm to find out their target area and bring any information about work towards it to next meeting

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: 10th November 2016

Present: EM, PH, AB, LA, CS, MG, AC, FH, IF, MI, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

2.Minutes

 

3. Review and Action Plan

 

 

 

 

 

4. Switch it Off!  fortnight

 

 

 

 

 

 

5. AOB

 

 

 

5. Date and Time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

Actions from previous minutes discussed, Staff informed at staff meeting, classes all been told about noticeboard

 

Mrs Swain informed the chn that FS have agreed to take responsibility for the waste minimisation/recycling element of the action plan, KS1 for school grounds and bio-diversity and KS2 for Energy. The teachers have copies of the part of the action plan relevant to them and will have a full copy of the plan emailed to them today. Mrs Swain explained that each eco-committee member was responsible for monitoring the work their class does towards the action plan and ensuring it happens!!

The committee discussed their ideas and looked at resources that Mrs Swain has. Two chn are going to (secretly!) do an audit of what is left on at beginning of fortnight and then again at the end after we have raised awareness to see if there is any improvement. All eco-committee members are going to do the Energy Vampire Slayer activity with their class next week. Chn to tell school that Switch it Off fortnight starts next week. Eco-Committee have stickers, badges and a certificate to give out to members of their class who support the campaign.

We discussed the possibility of entering a ‘draw a cartoon strip’ competition to win an eco-makeover for the school. Comm to think of ways in which we could organise this for next meeting

 

 

Thursday 24th November, 10.30am in the library

 

 

 

 

Action- Mrs Swain email action plan to staff

 

 

 

 

 

EM and LA to do initial audit

CS, PH, AB to do end audit

FH to speak in assembly tomorrow

Yr 6 chn to speak in KS2 assembly on Monday

 

Chn to think about competition

 

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: 20th October 2016

Present: EM, PH, AB, LA, CS, MG, PB, JM, AC, FH, IF, MI, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

 

 

2.Minutes

 

 

3. Review and Action Plan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4. Any Other Business

 

 

 

 

5. Date and Time of next meeting

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming.

 

Actions from previous minutes discussed, poster put up, assembly done. Some reviews still to come in and switch it off activities on-going.

 

The chn discussed the findings from their reviews and Mrs swain shared the review that she had done with Mr Dalman and others. It was agreed that the 3 main areas of focus should be Energy, Waste minimisation/recycling and School grounds/biodiversity. The chn looked at and discussed the draft action plan and agreed it was what they wanted to work on. Mrs Swain is going to share the action plan with staff in staff meeting on 2nd nov. We agreed it would be good for different classes/year groups to be responsible for certain areas. This will also be discussed at the staff meeting.

 

The Committee went to look at the notice board and agreed to tell their class where it was and encourage them to look at it.

The chn will continue to think of activities for Switch it Off fortnight

 

 

Thursday 10th November, 10.30am in the library

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action- Mrs Swain to share Action Plan with staff and allocate areas of responsibility

 

 

 

Share noticeboard with classes

Plan Switch it Off activities

 

 

 

 

Eco-Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Date: 6th October 2016

Present: EM, PH, AB, LA, CS, MG, SM, MF, OW, PB, JM, AC, FH, IF, MI, Mrs Swain

 

AGENDA

MINUTES

ACTION

1. Welcome

Mrs Swain welcomed the committee members and thanked them for coming. We introduced everybody to each other.

 

2.Minutes

We looked at the minutes from the last meeting. There were no matters arising that were not going to be covered in this meeting’s agenda anyway.

 

 

3. What is Eco-Schools?

Mrs Swain explained what eco-schools is about and what we are trying to achieve at Berry Hill. We are currently working towards the Bronze level.

 

 

4. Roles and Responsibilities

 

 

 

 

Mrs Swain explained that it is the role of the eco-committee member to tell their class about what we are doing and to get them involved and interacting. Eco-Schools is about the whole school becoming more environmentally aware and eco-committee members are the ones who will need to lead that in school. We went over the 9 areas again and allocated areas to small groups to do the review for an area.

Committee members to complete review for their allocated area and return to Mrs swain by 14th October 2016

5. Switch It Off Fortnight

 

 14th-27th Nov - Mrs Swain explained about the campaign and that we will be getting involved. We looked at the resources we have to support the campaign and some suggestions were made as to how we could use them.

Comm members to think of a competition or activity for their class to do during Switch it Off campaign

PH to ask Miss Brown’s permission to put up poster

6. Walk to School Month

 

 

October is International Walk to School Month, the committee talked about why this was important to promote and agreed that we would have 3 children to tell the school about it in assembly tomorrow. Each committee member is going to go back to their class and tell their class about it and why it is important.

EM to ask permission for eco-committee to speak in  assembly

Eco-comm members to explain about walk to school month in their class

7. AOB

There was no other business

 

8. Date and time of next meeting

Thursday 20th October, 2.45pm in the library

 

 

2015-2016

Eco-Committee

 

This year’s eco-committee have had a very busy year working towards the bronze Eco-Schools award. In February Richard Smith from the company School Energy Efficiency came and did an energy audit to help us understand our energy usage and how we can improve it. The report inspired the Eco-Committee to launch a ‘Switch it Off!’ campaign, which they did during Key Stage assemblies.

Committee members completed reviews of the 9 eco-schools areas (Litter, Waste, Energy, Water, Global Perspective, School Grounds, Biodiversity, Transport, Healthy living). We will be using the results of these reviews to inform our Action Plan.

The Committee members have also enjoyed visits to the Veolia Materials Recovery Facility to find out more about recycling and to talk to the East Midlands in Bloom judges at King George V Park.

A big thank you and well done to this year’s Eco Committee, we look forward to working with new committee members from September.

Top