13th July 2020
Topic - Summer time - Picnics
Introduce the topic by talking about experiences of picnics.
Discuss packing up a picnic and healthy foods.
Watch and discuss the events as a three year old enjoys his first picnic.
Story of the Week - Peppa Pig's Picnic
- Plan a picnic of your own.- make a list of items - talk about, listen for initial sounds in the words eg s- strawberries, b - bread, w- water. Practise writing the initial sounds.
- Discuss healthy food choices.
- Follow recipe cards to make items for your picnic
- Take photographs for a memory box. (Retell your picnic experience using your photos)
- Role play - Teddy Bears Picnic
- Make Play dough food - use numbers in play ie count amount of food, share food, eat and take away, add more food, count items together.
- Cut and create a healthy picnic box.
- Develop pencil skills by colouring pictures and following mazes.
- Develop listening skills eg Play what have i got in the picnic bag? Put surprise items in the bag. Give clues to guess the items eg - rustle the bag - child guesses 'crisps'. In my bag I have something beginning with b (banana) etc
- Play a memory game - Put selection of items on picnic blanket. Cover eyes - take an item away. What is missing? Make it more fun with a character eg Hungry Magpie that takes food away. Extend to count and use number and problem solve. eg I had 10 grapes but now only have 8 - how many were taken away?
Resources to support learning
Additional texts, videos and songs to support this week's topic.