6th July 2020
Books to support Leaning. Click the links below to listen to the stories.
Activities to support learning:
The Rainbow Fish
- Discuss the setting and the characters in the story.
- Discuss how the characters felt throughout the story and how sharing made the characters feel.
- Use sequencing cards and retell the story.
- Paint/ collage your own fish.
What the Ladybird Heard at the Seaside.
- Look at the front cover and discuss what the story could be about
- Where is the setting? Who are the characters? Count how many characters you can see.
- Have you heard stories about Ladybirds before?
- Listen to the story. Discuss the events and whether the characters were making good choices. eg Why shouldn't the men cut off the mermaids hair ? Should the sea animals forgive the two men? Could you think of an alternative, happier ending? Maybe the Mermaid could explain to the men how she felt?
- Paint a pebble to make your own ladybird.
- Take your ladybird on a listening walk. What can it hear?
Kipper - The Seaside
- Discuss prior knowledge of the seaside and any previous experiences.
- Refer to your senses eg Smells of the seaside - fishy air, chips, sun lotion, Sounds - seagulls, waves, families talking, What might you taste - salty air, sea water, seaside foods - crabs, chips, fish, ice creams ... Feel - cold water, warm sunshine, sea breeze, damp sand, clingy seaweed, sharp shells, bumpy pebbles etc Ho to you feel - eg excited, happy, relaxed etc See - buckets, spades, sand castles deckchairs, kites, parasols, shells, crabs...
- Watch Kipper - The seaside. Discuss the setting The Beach and the sun, sea, sand.
- What will Kipper do at the seaside?
- What is tiger carrying - Can you spot any of the items you'd previously thought of ?
- Discuss new vocabulary eg tide, base camp, hermit crab
- Explore items that sink and float.
- Colour seaside pictures.
- Create a cut and stick seaside scene.
- Count the seasides objects.