Commotion in the Ocean 01.02.21
Literacy Activities to support 'Commotion in the Ocean'
- Discuss the front cover, Ask - What is the setting? What animals do you recognise? Can you find the author and illustrators name? Where is the title? Discuss the new word 'commotion'
- Describe the animals on each page.
- Re read and identify rhyming words.
- Use the sequencing cards to order the story
- Make masks and puppets - use to role play to introduce each character and recall language from the story
- Look at fiction and on line documentary (see resources) to find out facts about ocean animals.
- Play I spy - eg I spy an animal beginning with 't' alternatively - I spy an animal with wings and it stings etc
- Match names of animals to the picture by developing awareness of initial sounds.
- Count the animals in the story
- Complete the counting worksheets
- Create your own pattern for your fish. Look at the angel fish for an idea of repeating pattern.
- Cut and make underwater scenes
- Join in with songs (see web links)
- Create your own sea creature
- Make puppets and a puppet theatre to retell the story.
- Paint, draw, collage animals and underwater scenes
- Make a shoe box aquarium
- Learn and join in with new songs including; 'Hole in the bottom of the Sea' and 'Five little Fish Song'.
- Find land and water on the globe.
- Talk about personal experience of the ocean an any ocean animals
- Create a small world ocean with sea creatures, shells, rocks etc
- Make an ocean in a bottle.(see web links)
- Explore objects that sink and float
- Discuss taking care of the ocean and ocean animals.
- Watch documentaries (see web links)