The Magic Porridge Pot 25.01.21
Project -Traditional Tales
Text - 'The Magic Porridge Pot'
Literacy Activities to support 'The Magic Porridge Pot' :
- Listen to the story of 'The Magic Porridge Pot'
- Discuss the features of the front cover ie title, illustration. Discuss the setting and the characters.
- As you read/ listen to the story pause periodically to discuss events ad new vocabulary.
- Encourage joining in with repeated language
- Sequence pictures or use puppets to retell the story.
- Re-tell the story with new characters - create a different food for the cooking pot eg stringy, saucy spaghetti , curly, crunchy, fries ...
- Look at the words in the story - model reading from left to right. Are there any familiar letters can you spot? Some children are beginning to recognise the sight words that we call 'tricky words' - I to no go the into. Can you see any of these words as you look through the book?
Maths Activities :
- Make porridge - weighing and measuring ingredients
- Make oat play dough . Use your teddies at home to have a tea party - use mathematical language as you count and compare sizes. Use different shaped cutters eg circles, triangles etc. Maybe, make a dough pizza - cut into halves and quarters, compare sizes are they equal?
- Complete the addition counting & recording worksheet (in resources).
- Make puppets to retell the story
- Make clay or dough cooking pots
- Paint/ draw/ colour characters and scenes from the story.
Phonics & Handwriting Activities and ways to support at home can be found by clicking on and browsing the 'Handwriting' and 'Phonics' folders.